Sadly, P2 came with no clothing and since I was busy with wedding planning and honeymooning when I got her, I just copied her then blanket that worked (Pessoa) and went with it. She got one Medium Blanket and one Turnout Sheet. (both matching, duh).
I like having extras for laundry and backup, so we picked up one more Pessoa Medium and one more Pessoa Turnout Sheet on sale (also matching) during the off season. I've also amassed a fleece cooler that matches Pia's (cute), a nice stable/show sheet for traveling and looking pretty (the Rambo Helix, LOVE), the absurd (but cute) "sweatshirt" and her exercise sheet.
It's a lot of clothing, but she still doesn't have anything in the way of a Heavy Blanket, or layers that would render her medium appropriate for the super cold.
So I've been hunting. Prairie seems to fit the Pessoas really well, and so far I've been really happy with how they are wearing in their second season. I also really like their cute plaids. But their heavy blanket lacks the option for a higher neck (which I like) and also comes in ugly colors with a giant "P" on it instead of their normal fun colors. While having a giant P on P2 is sorta entertaining, I've been exploring other options.
Here's what I know:
- Prairie needs something warmer than just a Medium to get through the winter.
- I have a tendency to spend more money on "good" brands because I hate when shit breaks.
- The notion of spending $400 on a Rambo still makes me cringe.
- Pessoas (and supposedly WeatherBeetas) fit the mare pretty well.
- I don't like detachable neck covers (and I don't trust our staff to put them on/off well), but I do like higher necks for super cold weather.
- Realistically, Prairie only needs to get 3-4 weeks out of a Heavy Blanket per year, assuming some of those days she swaps to a Medium for turnout..)
I started looking in the $200ish range.
My two finalists (of the moment) are the WeatherBeeta Freestyle High Neck Turnout
And the SmartPak Deluxe High Neck Turnout.
The WB comes in right at $200, while the SmartPak has a slight edge at $169.
I've have WeatherBeetas for years and they've always worn well, but based on reviews I'm leaning toward the SmartPak. I've never owned a SmartPak Blanket, so it seems like a bit of a wild card, but it looks like the warranty is pretty decent and I sorta like trying new things.
Also, the (not insignificant) issue of color is pretty much even. The WeatherBeeta would be in black with purple trim, while the SmartPak has a very comparable (though sorta boring) black with white/gray trim.
Anyone want to weigh in? As soon as the visa payment clears (two saddles in one month was a little rough..) I'll be placing an order for Prairie's final (for now) addition to her closet...