Just about the time I was driving The Boy insane with all my whining about how tired and sick and generally crappy I was feeling we figured out I was pregnant (!!!) and it all made a bunch more sense.
It's still early in the whole baby-cooking-process, but I'm in my 9th week and while I know it's still before the sacred 12 week mark, my parents have made it their personal mission to tell everyone on the planet that come July they are expecting a charming little grandbaby, so it's hardly a secret at this point.
That, and there's the fact that being pregnant significantly impacts my plans with the horses and that is very relevant to the blog so there you have it.
|The thing that looks like a head is a yolk sac (?) the squiggly thing attached is the actual baby. :)|
For the longest time I always thought that when I got pregnant, I'd breed Prair since it seemed like a good thing to do with her while I was at reduced capacity, but I quickly came to the conclusion that they only thing more terrifying than trying to learn how to be responsible for my first kid would be simultaneously trying to not screw up a baby horse.
So, that's off the table.
Instead we've been mulling over what is best for each of the beasts in terms of activity and use, and also what's realistic in terms of money.
The general consensus is that the $$ spent on ponies needs to go down (wah), but that the priority is keeping Prair in good shape, with a strong back, and ideally continuing her education so I have a horse ready for me when I'm able to get back in action.
That means, a couple of things.
1) Pia is looking for a new home. She's been doing great up north, socializing well, happy, having good rides under saddle. But she's got to get off the payroll. Because I know she's a hard mare and has lots of specific needs (stall at night, but not during the day! group turnout is a must! lots of attention from a primary person! trails, not just ring work!) I will take my time finding her a home where she can succeed and also would literally give her to the perfect person.
I don't really want to let her go, because I feel so responsible for keeping her safe and in a situation that doesn't set her off - but at some point I can also acknowledge that I have spent the better part of a kid's college fund on figuring out exactly what that mare needs.
2) Prairie will stay in full training. Ideally I still want the mare out showing, and racking up some good, quality miles. But I also recognize that as this whole pregnancy thing rolls along (cough, show season, cough cough) I'll be less interested in bathing horses/hauling/setting up/etc which helps to keep my costs low. So, to offset that, I'm considering a half lease on the mare. I've got a good friend who's a great rider and is currently horseless who is interested. If it worked out it, I'd be thrilled as Prair would basically have an Ammy to ride her and show her in the same divisions I would, but the mare would still be getting her other "half" ridden and shown by a pro.
In this particular circumstance, Prairie would be moving to a more traditional show barn, which makes me a bit apprehensive since I've never actually been in a fully structured program, but also would solve all the issues of hauling/set up/bathing/grooming/etc that I'm sure will sounds significantly less appealing come May/June/July.
The overall cost of that program is much higher, but with the half lease, my monthly bills would stay about the same. Also, Half-Lease Girl is also interested in hitting most of the big shows and would be splitting show fees which is also very, very appealing. (this means Thermal is still potentially on the table).
3) Gus will wait and see. Gus will end up going somewhere near Prair. If Prair moves across town, I'll look for another barn where he can continue his Gentlemanly life going for long walks and short trots. Ideally I just want him close enough to Prairie that I can easily visit both horses in the same day, but I don't need to be paying for Gus to be at a big fancy barn. He's happy with some good turnout and a warm fluffy stall.
So that's the current thought process. Obviously lots is still in the air, and clearly I'm still in the saddle at this point so who knows what will actually firm up but we'll see. As of now, Pia is still firmly on the Payroll, Prair is at our current barn (though I did give notice just in case) and Gus has no idea anything is happening.
Lots of exciting things to come though!