This is sad for me on a number of levels, but really it was so wonderful having a suitable day job for him, while also being close and available to M2 for regular love and carrots. It's a scenario that I'm not sure I've ever be able to replicate.
|love this nose.|
Knowing that Gus is out of a job in the New Year prompted some serious discussions of What To Do With Gus.
I adore this horse, and when we took him on I promised him a safe, happy, comfortable home. I was mentally prepared to put him down if we had to, but I hoped we would be able to rehab him. I'm thrilled with how well Gus is doing, I'm happy with his soundness, general health and demeanor. He's worth his weight in gold and the type of horse that would take you 10 years to find if you were looking for it.
But, he's never going to be my show horse, which means he's never going to be boarded with Prairie, and since The Boy and I have yet to find that magical farm, Gus has to be kept at a second facility. Split horses has worked for me in the past, (at one point Prairie and Pia were 4 hours apart...) but with the kiddo I have even less time than I thought I would (I know, I know... people warned me... I just didn't listen).
My issue with Gus not having a day job anymore has less to do with the $$ (though that's a consideration), but really my concern is not having enough time to visit him on a regular basis and give him love and care. I'm not comfortable boarding a horse who I don't see at least twice a week when they aren't in some sort of full time training/care program.
So, I'm trying to decide what to do with Mr. Man. Right now the right thing seems to be to look for a care lease or a new home where he will be loved and adored and hopefully continue to get some light work.
On one hand he's an old, lame horse - and I hear those are hard to give away.
But on the other he's safe, trustworthy, loves to work and gives you the same ride regardless of whether you're riding him six times a week or once every six months.
Anyway, we have lots of thinking to do. If the right home begged for him, I'd let him go in an instant. Putting him on Dreamhorse is going to be a painful thing so I'm not sure its going to happen tomorrow, but eeesh... I'm not sure what other options are realistic.
big frowny face.
On the upside his nail hole is healing well :)