I'll start with the check up on her left hind, since that's most of the drama.
We started by lunging Prair on a small circle, where, even with a heavy martini in her veins, she was still exhibiting Dragon-like-symptoms. But once a bit settled, she looked great.
No limp, no shuffle, no quick step. Sound.
So we flexed.
And that's where the wheels fell off the wagon.
Her left fetlock flexion is still really positive. She shows obvious discomfort at the flexion being held and the first two steps off the line looked nearly as bad as I remember eight and a half weeks ago when this adventure started.
I almost canceled the Ultrasound since we knew it wasn't going to show brilliant progress, but I was too curious and too interested to delay the opportunity to get more information.
The (little bit) of good news is that general inflammation in the area is down. There is still some edema around the suspensory, but less than there was 8 weeks ago. The medial branch of the suspensory still shows a small area of disruption, but appears to be making (some) progress. This would be great news f the DDFT was following suit, but the DDFT looks exactly the same as the images we saved from the previous ultrasound.
There is s slight line showing on the DDFT, which is likely a small split in the tendon. We can't confirm exactly what or where without an MRI, but I'm still holding off on that procedure since confirming it's a split doesn't change any treatment plans.
Essentially, the vet took one look and asked for two more months of stall rest followed by another ultrasound. A pattern we would keep repeating until we see either improvement in healing or scar tissue form.
There we are. I spent the long drive home from the barn being fatalistic and trying to think about my (reasonable) options. One thing I am fairly certain of is that if we can get meaningful healing, and Prair comes back sound on that limb, I don't think it's fair to ask her to jump (however small) again as her primary job. Attempting to rehab her as a solid, exceptional Dressage mount for an Ammy seems more responsible.
At this point (as in today, thought I'm sure I'll waffle on this), I still really want to jump, so if Dressage-Ammy-Mount was an option, I'd likely be looking for a home I trusted for the big mare.
Of course I have to consider the possibility that she won't be serviceably sound and think about what that means too.
She's pretty, she has great bloodlines and two (stunning) babies on the ground, so we know she has value as a broodmare as well... it just seems too soon for her to become a professional mama.
Anyway, obviously for the time being some patience is probably what I need the most - but it's hard not to let my mind race a year down the road and wonder if I should try to move her now to a less expensive facility where she can enjoy her (extended) rest in a slightly more affordable fashion.
Though my immediate reaction to that thought is concern over moving a horse that I want keen eyeballs on to a facility where the service level might be lower and the staff won't be familiar with her.... Not necessarily a great tradeoff, especially for peace of mind.
Lots of thinking to do, and thankfully a sunny, beautiful weekend coming up so I can wallow in my Mare Despair, probably with wine in hand