I can't emphasize how strange this process is. There are moments when I'm texting with my trainer, or vet, or whoever that I stand back and think about the chain of communication between me and some, lovely horse somewhere in Germany. (whaaaaaa???)
If there's one thing I've learned over the years with horses it's that one should trust the experts that you've surrounded yourself with. You're with them for a reason, and they (likely) know way more and have done everything more times that I can ever hope.
But the other thing I've learned over the year with horse, is that I have to always, (always, always) trust my gut.
Ideally, these things line up, but sometimes, either because of ignorance (on my part) or opinion - they don't.
I've had a few instances with this (because I've never shopped for a horse abroad) where what I think the right next step is... isn't necessarily part of the normal etiquette or protocol.
Since we decided to go to Germany, I've been vibrating at a relatively high stress level. I think it's more akin to "omgomgomgomg I'm so excited to go to a horse show," than it is to "omgomgomg I've got a huge test coming up and might vomit."
So it's a good, stress. but it's stress all the same and I've been trying to minimize it as much as possible.
The first bought of stress came from seeing videos of the most beautiful horse I've ever seen (maybe I had some beer goggles on, but still). The next wave of stress came from freaking out that someone else would buy him before we get to try him in a month. Then I got stressed over wanting to get some vetting done so that if something came up, I could forget about (beautiful, beautiful) Brad and move on. Then I got all stressed out over trying to coordinate vet services with a 9 hour time change and (significant) language barrier.
Essentially, I'm not sure it's normal protocol to initiate PPE procedures without having seen the horse in person/sat on it's back yet... but that's where I had to go with my gut. My gut said I needed to start getting information on this guy, and give myself as much time to get follow-up information if need be.
Frankly, now I'm glad we did since there are a few question marks that warrant some follow-up and maybe will affect our ultimate decision.
Finally, since I've officially spent some money evaluating this guy, I wanted to share a sneak peak. He's lovely. He's 4, he's been under saddle for a couple of months (significantly greener than we were initially looking for), and he just really caught my eye. I'm really hoping that after all the evaluations, he's still a strong candidate (subject to us loving him in person). So cross all your fingers and toes!!!
Waiting for some updates from my vet, but I will keep ya'll posted!