Most days, at most times, I really enjoy my vet. I like his outlook, I like his communication and I like his style for treatment. Sure, his bedside manner leaves a little room for improvement, but realistically I don't mind a little more straight forward talk and a little less hand holding when it comes to me being informed about my horse.
But some days, at some times, I really sort of want to scream. Not really at him per se, but at his office staff. For anyone who remembers the frustrations I had around scheduling our Myelograms.. I've had run ins with the main office lady a few times. She acts like she's guarding some ancient treasure and fiercely defends her schedule as well as most any communications in and out of the clinic.
How long have I been talking about Regu-Mate? A while right? It's been more than I week since I first emailed my vet to talk about filling a prescription for it (or telling me if he preferred another method of hormone control) which went DAYS without emails or calls back. Why? well... she gets busy, she forgets, she took a day off (steam, steam, steam).
The worst part is I have to try my hardest to stay sugary sweet to her because the last thing I need is to give her any reasons to make my life more difficult. Ugh.
Anyway, I finally talked to my vet yesterday, and we had a fantastic chat about options (injectables, implants, marbles, etc) for controlling Miss P's little, ahem, cycle.
His basic take was that Regu-Mate is a pain to handle (yes), and expensive (yes), but seems to have the biggest impact. He has a couple injectable options that are essentially slow release capsules, but they need to be redone every 4-6 weeks and haven't produced as strong of a "behavior change" as he's seen with Regu-Mate. He also said he doesn't love the current implants that are available and that he's seen a low success rate with the marbles, as many mare tend to "spit them out" after a few cycles.
Yup. Spay. We'll rip those little ovaries right out.
Realistically, she's not a candidate for breeding (ever), and as cute as she is, the wobbler issue is just a big red X over ever considering an attempt to make a little bouncing bundle of joy. Also, foals are damn expensive, you don't know what you're going to get, and I don't know what I would do if a baby came out with even half her sass and fire. Actually... I do know what I'd do. I'd run. Far away. :)
So, Regu-Mate it is. BUT not until Monday. Why??? Because vet office lady is 'gone' today so she can't call when the Regu-Mate arrives (apparently they had to call it in) so I can pick it up.
Never mind this is a full hospital clinic with horses there for surgery, recovery and diagnostics. I'm pretty sure that SOMEONE could pick up the phone and call me. I did fire back an email that said "please have whoever is on duty call me when it comes in" but she never even responded.
Yes, I know it's only a three day delay, but I feel almost irrational in my need to keep taking steps forward. I just want to dose the mare up, and get on the thing. Is that too much to ask!?