Well, this week was supposed to be all about tuning me up from the last show and getting ready for the prettiest, splashiest local show of the season.
Instead I finally got the persistent pain in my side checked out by my doctor and they found a big mass on an ovary.
Good news is that they are 99% sure it's nothing to worry about, bad news is that my surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday.. Right in the middle of our big fun show.
In a funny twist of fate, my doc is also a HJ rider and she will be at the show competing in the 3'6" A/O's next week. She empathized with not wanting to give up such a highlight of the show season and even offered the option to defer my procedure but deferring it doesn't actually resolve the pain issue and we both agreed that jumping on pain killers is never a good idea (regardless of whether it's the horse or rider under the influence...).
Soooo WAH. Big fat, whiny wah. I should probably be more concerned about the surgery, but really I'm just miffed about not showing. I decided I'm still sending Prair, but since her Pre-Green's run on Wednesday and Thursday, the odds are slim that I'll even get to see her go. S thinks that we might (might!) enter the Derby on Friday night (the National, not the International..) but since the footing is grass we're playing that by ear.
My family was decidedly not subtle about their preference for my procedure to happen sooner rather than later, but I'm still grieving the loss of the entry. I know it will still be good miles for Prair and I really hope things go well so I'm able to get out there and at least cheer people on...
There are worse things than missing horse shows, I know that. I guess I just also hate letting medical issues dictate my schedule as opposed to fitting in around what I find important (my husband, family, horses, etc).