Thursday, January 24, 2013

Then This Happened...(swoon)

I can't believe how long it's taken me to post on this, but last Friday The Boy cut out of work early and joined me for an afternoon at the barn.  Admittedly, I didn't really disclose that most of the time would be spent picking scabs off the girls' totally disgusting fungus legs, but I wasn't about to submarine his enthusiasm about joining me. 

He ended up being totally helpful in the scab removal process - but he did request to operate the hose as opposed to squat down and pick at scabs.  (I did not begrudge him that preference at all).

Anyway, with the gross chores out of the way I managed to talk him into actually getting on a horse.  This is a rare occurrence and over the course of our relationship has happened only twice.  The first time was down at a Mountain Trail clinic when he asked if he could sit on Pia.  This was early in P's reeducation and I was leery, but couldn't say no.  So he sat on her...  For a total of like 10 seconds.

The second time was back down at another Mountain Trail clinic when he legged up on Pia's first boyfriend (a very sad looking, tiny odd little paint).  We went for a 30 minute ride out in a giant field, but The Boy was not exactly thrilled or pleased about it.

THEN, this happened.  We grabbed one of S's current lesson horses and he (willingly) got on.  He steered him all around. Trotted a little and even asked things like "what should my leg do when I'm asking him to turn?"

I mean really.  Even if this only happens once every five years, the photo ops are worth it.

Also- full disclaimer, I scoured the barn for a helmet that would fit his apparently abnormally giant head, but we found nothing.  So he's bare-headed. 

Biased as I am, this man cuts a nice line on a horse if I do say so myself.  And rest assured, I am already scheming ways to replicate the outing...


I am also pleased to see that horrifically long reins seem to run in our family.. Any future children with any future riding interests are doomed.

19 comments:

  1. Haha. I literally laughed out loud about the long reins.

    This is good progress! And lucky you that you have two horses. Maybe I am overambitious (on your behalf, of course), but perhaps you could even get him to take lessons!

    I don't have a boyfriend right now, but I have made every single one of my friends that I could con into coming to the barn get on my horse. Just to please me. I pity the husbands/boyfriends/friends of the horse-obsessed everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shorter reins will be he death of me.... Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

      Delete
  2. Yay, I can totally relate. I've managed to get my husband on a horse quite a few times and he actually has a good seat (not sure how with such horrid posture!). He is also more interested in coming to the barn now that I *ahem* we own this one but I don't think I would be able to convince him to get on Armani...though that's probably a good thing at this point!

    That's a cute horse, too! They suit each other, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newish follower - (dressage rider with two retirees and a new Andalusian cross as a quickie intro) This may be my first time commenting, but I just adore your photo edit! I have signed my boyfriend and I up for an hour ride through the Spanish countryside in April, I think it's a good idea if he gets on a horse before then - this is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ermahgawd, I LOVE all the pink hearts you drew on that pic! That is too funny! And it's super awesome that your hubby likes horses and the occasional ride. I can tell you from experience where it ends, though - with him jousting and foxhunting on his own horse! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude.... I am jealous, I will NEVER get Mo on a horse!!!
    (Although I DID date a horse girl once... that was excellent and awful at the same time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating a full on horse girl might fry my brain, but having a fully qualified truck driving, button sewing stall picking beau is just about perfect... ;)

      Delete
  6. I love the hearts and I MELT when my hubbie joins me at the barn and (gasp) asks to 'ride' our...OUR...horse. I always laugh and say "yes you can ride MY MIIIIIINE horse" but secretly, squeal like an 8 yr old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute!! My helmet probably would have been big enough, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's a keeper! Next time tell him to bring a bike helmet if he has one at home. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good guy! This post literally made me laugh out loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is soooo awesome!! He looks good on that horse (which I want, what a cutie.... the horse!! lol)! I laughed about the long reins, but I'm just impressed he had his elbows bent! Most beginners have their arms stuck as far out in front of them as they can hahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails