Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Slow Start: Diagnosis

Well, we have a diagnosis. 

And (more importantly) we have good news.




I call this series: in search of hidden treats

Turns out, the nagging slight lameness we had been noticing was a slightly pissed off lateral collateral ligament in the coffin joint. 

Sneaky little suckers are often hard to pinpoint and require an MRI to confirm.  (which we did, without anesthesia, go team).

The MRI shows that there is a mild strain (moderate focal tissue disruption), but that it's already healing.  The big lovely swingy trot that we noticed after some time off from the holidays is the result of that healing, and now that we know for sure what's going on - we can be more mindful of how to move forward without risking a re-injury. 

As of last week, Winds feels fab, and his slight inconsistencies from left rein to right rein no longer block out in the foot.  So we are (reasonably) confident that the collateral  is no longer causing pain, and that the inflammation has all but gone away.

The bummer is that while I was initially aiming for a season opener up at Thunderbird next week, we are on an (even) slower plan to hold off on jumping for a while longer and continue to just increase the workload on the flat in two week increments.  At this point I'm probably pushing back our first show to the end of June, assuming we don't hit any speed bumps between now and then.

Winds feels awesome, and I know that this easy spring has been good for his body. With a confirmed diagnosis I am even more convinced that we did the right thing, and I can't wait to see how this horse jumps and moves when he's feeling his best. 

In the meantime, it's all that boring, but oh so useful flatwork while we continue to build up strength!

Anyone have experience with Collateral strains?

I like our current plan of action, and am grateful that even with his crazy hard season last year, all we have is a slight strain (no tears, no holes, no scary anything) - so the prognosis is about a good as it can possibly be... but any magic tricks or special considerations are always welcome!

And lest you think I'm not getting enough saddle time, there are a few irons in the fire that hopefully I'll get to talk about sooner rather than later!






6 comments:

  1. Omg. heart in throat. Glad Windsy is so cooperative for treatment and you have a diagnosis and a plan. #fainting

    Can't wait to hear about the other things. LIKE PONIES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got a diagnosis and that it was nothing more serious. I'm sure's he's enjoyed his easy spring time, but I bet he'll be stoked to be back showing off his fancy moves at the shows this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks, but I'm glad he's already healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to have a diagnosis and a plan of action going forward. Love his hidden treat search face and cannot wait to hear about irons in the fire 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the best possible news for a collateral injury. My mare strained the same ligament and after careful rehab has returned to eventing at Training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey random question but I wanted to see who you used to buy Windsor. I have an agent in the Netherlands trying to find my investment partner and I a horse with not much luck. Would you be willing to shoot me an email at kshnooks@yahoo.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails