Friday, March 15, 2013

P2's Feet - the plan

I have a tendency to obsess a little whenever a horse is "out of commission" even if it's only for a few days.  Prair's feet already seem less tender but I think she's totally just taking advantage of an unplanned vacation for herself. 

Per my vet's recommendation, I'm currently awaiting a shipment of Hawthorne's Hoof Freeze.  

As far as I can tell it's pretty similar to most traditional hardeners, but I always like my vet's product recommendations and since no one in my state carries the damn stuff we are currently awaiting a ground shipment since the stuff is flammable. 

In the mean time, Prairie is just getting good 'ol fashioned iodine and a bit of bute.  I'm fairly certain that if past experience is any indication either Prairie will be done being sore, or will be shod by the time the reportedly magic Hoof Freeze arrives on my door step.

But such is life with beasties.  If nothing else I'll be glad to have the new hardener on hand and remember to proactively treat her a bit earlier in the season next year...

The fallback is still to put front shoes on if necessary.  I think my farrier is coming out tomorrow.  I never say I know, because with farriers you never seem to know for sure (although since I .  But assuming I do actually see him, I'll get his opinion as to whether or not we are making progress or if shoes are a good alternative right now. 

I would really (really really) love to not nail shoes on, but Prairie is really (really, really) efficient at drawing tension into her shoulders and getting all locked up.  We've spent nearly a year freeing those silly things up and I really don't want to set her up to regress in that department. 

Yesterday I had a great Eq lesson on Not-Prairie, which totally kicked my ass.  S nit picked (in the best possible way) my bad habits and we worked through lots of my typical issues.  It was quite a bit of fun, though I'm feeling the burn from some extended half-seat sessions.... ouch.


6 comments:

  1. Two products: Crossapol, and Keratex Hoof Hardener. Magic, those two. (Also if she is really sore, pack her feet with Magic Cushion and wrap over them. Takes soreness out lickety-split!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the salt water while you wait on it to arrive!! I mentioned it on your previous post. It works wonders for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope her hooves harden up and she isn't sore anymore. I like Hawthorne products. We have used the sole poultice before and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like unplanned vacations too! Tho not when it involves my horse being owchie.. hope she feels better soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Andrea's recommendation of the Keratex Hoof Hardener. Good stuff! I hope her feetsies heal quickly and the soreness goes away.

    And don't worry about obsessing. We all do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love Keratex Hoof Hardener!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails