Friday, February 4, 2011

Mare Hugs

So the Mare has been a lover all week.  Her post field trip rides were excellent, focused and calm.  We had a few "hyped" moments and minutes where her ears were GLUED on the barn, but she worked through it and I'm happy to report that her stiff right side was slightly less stiff when she wasn't craning her neck to see outside the ring (like our field trip).

She's also finally starting to shed out, which is a blessing, since her furs got a little longer this year than last and she's been taking for-ev-er to dry after our workouts.  Things I'm not so excited about?

MOSQUITOES.

Last night both of us were nearly eaten alive and I angerly busted out my fly spray when we returned to the barn.  I mean really.  The horses are still in their winter rugs, but the one 50 degree day somehow spawned a whole crop of the bloodsuckers and they are OUT.  I'm not thrilled.  My dissatisfaction probably showed through my very "aggressive" tack box search for my fly spray.  P was not amused.

Anyway.  Aside from bugs and furs, we had a nice week together.  Yesterday we did ground work.  We worked on yielding our hindquarters and shoulders when asked and tuned up on keeping her head at my shoulder.  Lots of trot halt, lots of pivots and lots of big pats.

So far so good... I gotta think that this combo of ass kicking rides, regumate and shoes is treating us both well...

Mare has an easy weekend since The Boy is whisking me off to our favorite getaway again for some gluttonous meals, lots of delicious wine and hopefully some active snowshoeing.  I'm looking forward to it.  While the mare side of my life has been great, work has been somewhat stressful, so the respite will be a welcome one. :)

Happy weekends everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Happy weekend!!!

    I am so glad we don't have many mosquitoes here. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Pia is doing better. :) It's so exciting to finally find something that work isn't it? Have a great weekend. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than going on a vacay after making huge, awesome strides with your horse:) Have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails